Unable to Upload Files to Wordpress Sub-directories after Migration

I have finished developing a site in a test sub-directory and am ready to move to the actual sub-domain. I specially purchased BackupBuddy from iTheme to help me with the migration as I read a lot of positive comments about this plugin. It is said to be one of the foolproof ways to migrate one site to another site seamlessly.

Most importantly, it can automatically convert all its URLs and path (e.g. test.mydomain.com) to the actual domain URL (e.g. gallery.mydomain.com) and path. This is definitely a time saver as I do not need to amend the URL one by one after the migration. However, there is one limitation, if you have specified any URLs (for e.g. background: url("http://test.mydomain.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/header.jpg"); ) in your CSS stylesheet, you have to remember to change the test domain to the actual domain manually as BackupBuddy is unable to change the URLs in the stylesheet which is such a pity!

After successfully migrated the test site to the actual site, I was trying to do some cleaning up in the folder which then I only realized I could not upload any files to any of the sub-directories. I tried to upload files to wp-admin, wp-content and even to wp-includes, none of them worked. The message appeared in my FTP saying it was access denied. Why access denied as I’m the owner of the site? I tried changing the permission of all the sub-directories from 755 to 777 and thought that the problem would resolve immediately but instead, it gave me the following errors:

Request denied
Verify that the file or folder exists and that you have the necessary permission on the server to perform the required operation

I tried changing all the sub-sub-directories to 777 but still no avail. No choice, I have to seek help from my web hosting company and fortunately, they managed to solve it for me immediately. According to the support, they said when I was developing the test site, all the sub-directories were given the owner permission rights to access but when I moved them to a new location, they did not tally with the previous owner’s rights so no permission was given to access the sub-directories. This explains the reason why I was getting the access denied and permission error.

Therefore, if you are having accessing problem while uploading images or files to your sub-directories after migration, and even after changing its permission to 777 did not do the trick. Try getting your web hosting guy to look at the file owner permission rights of your sub-directories; it might have accidentally changed without your knowledge. This could be one of the fastest ways to solve your agony.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Headway Visual Editor not Loading in the Browser